When designing medical websites in Indiana, we need to be mindful of the code section that imposes disciplinary sanctions on practitioners who advertise in a false or misleading manner. We’d never put out anything false or misleading on purpose, and we work with our clients to double check the accuracy of all our medical website designs. For a complete overview of the marketing laws that apply to your practice, be sure to consult with legal counsel.
Oversight Body: Medical Licensing Board of Indiana
IC 25-1-9-4 Standards of professional practice; findings required for sanctions; evidence of foreign discipline
Sec. 4. (a) A practitioner shall conduct the practitioner’s practice in accordance with the standards established by the board regulating the profession in question and is subject to the exercise of the disciplinary sanctions under section 9 of this chapter if, after a hearing, the board finds:
- (1) a practitioner has: (…)
- (C) advertised services in a false or misleading manner
Sample Best Practices
We’ve developed some sample best practices to help you get started discussing your medical marketing with your legal counsel in more detail. Find out if you need to take steps to avoid the following:
- Advertising in a false or misleading manner.
- Making scientific claims that cannot be substantiated.
- Assuring a permanent cure for an incurable disease.
- Claiming professional superiority without supporting the claim with objective evidence, or using hyperbole when describing your techniques or results.
- Showing patient before and after photos without indicating that results vary and the results shown are not a guarantee.
- Showing models without clearly indicating that the photos are not of actual patients.
- Saying you are board-certified without including in any advertising the name of the board that has certified you.
Please help us keep these pages up to date. If you or your legal counsel notice an oversight in our comments or a problem with this page, please alert us by email. Also, be sure to read our legal disclaimer.